Town Hall Meeting Minutes Nov 2022

12 November 2022

Hon. Don Punch MLA

Community Town Meeting

10am, Saturday 12 November, 2022

Carey Park Scout Hall, Wisbey Street, Carey Park



10am                    Don to welcomed everyone


                             Overview of current priorities –


Sporting Investments

  • Planning for basketball courts is ongoing
  • Redevelopment of Hands Oval about to get underway


Infrastructure Investments

  • Somerville lights installation delayed until after winter 2023 but new 70km limit already imposed.
  • TBW stage two almost complete. Stage 3 designs with the EPA. Decision expected next year. Tender documents etc ready to go.
  • BORR Progressing


Community Investments

  • Planning for Dalyellup Community Hub progressing
  • Carey Park Scout Hall redevelopment completed
  • Mangrove Cove nature play area progressing
  • All terrain wheelchair freedom trax


Industry Investments

Albemarle progressing with expansion plans

Kemerton developing and new industry likely.


Don Reid asked – there are three water bodies in Kemerton. Will they be preserved? Don believes they are in the buffer zone and are safe. Each new project must go through EPA.


Joan Birkett – Big Swamp Wildlife Park needs to have more animals and more happening. She sent in Banksia as feed for the animals and it was sent back as being unsuitable but Joan knows it is loved by birds. Another participant commented the Café should be re-opened. Another said the City will be holding a community information session about the park next week, which is an opportunity to express these views directly to the City.



  • End of State of Emergency


10.10am             Feedback from previous Town Hall Meeting


Costs passed on to developers – Mr Halkett expressed a concern that developers were not paying enough for the infrastructure needed to support their development and used the Killerby Estate as an example.


Don asked the Shire of Capel to explain the cost of the development and a response was received;


In accordance with the Scheme Amendment 67 and the approved plan of subdivision, the developer of the land is required to ensure the following development infrastructure is delivered:

  • The local roads within the subject land are to be constructed (including drainage and street lighting) and then passed to the Shire
  • An extension to Minninup Road, along with associated intersections or upgrades, is to be constructed at an appropriate time and standard
  • The extension of Minninup Road to include a suitable principal shared path
  • An Emergency Access Way to connect to Harewoods Road/Maidment Parade Dalyellup (this may ultimately be the road extension)
  • An upgrading of the existing single lane bridge on Minninup Road over the Five Mile Brook Diversion Drain to a dual lane standard including a shared use path
  • Pedestrian access ways within the subdivision
  • Provision of an underground electricity distribution system • An easement on title to allow for a 6 metre wide permanent fire service access route for vehicles along the northern and eastern boundaries of selected lots
  • A wildlife fence along the northern and eastern boundaries


 As the land is developed for rural residential purposes, there is no requirement to provide reticulated potable water or deep sewer connections. Responsibility to ensure appropriate drinking water supply and waste water disposal will rest with individual lot owners.


There is flexibility for the developer to ensure the provision of the above infrastructure through a variety of means, although it will ultimately require them to make financial contributions for the provision of the physical infrastructure.


Community Safety in Withers – A concern was raised about the lack of lighting in Withers and the maintenance of the CCTV network in that suburb.


Don wrote to the City of Bunbury and received a response.


There are new connectors roads scheduled to be built in Withers over the next couple of years. These projects (through the linear portion of Des Ugle Park) will include the installation of addition lighting.


The City has limited resources for additional lighting. It prioritises areas that experience higher numbers of night time road crashes than day time crashes. If additional information about specific locations is provided, those areas will be considered for prioritisation.


The City provides the CCTV network and provides the Police access to the network for them to access and monitor as required. The City does not monitor the network. It does provide maintenance as required in a timely fashion although there were some delays accessing parts during COVID.


Don will write back about the community request for community safety by design rather than road safety. Mark Blowers wants the City to be asked to install solar lighting in community spaces.


Mental Health Co-Response Team – More information was requested about the Mental Health Co-Response team that has been created in Bunbury and how it functions. A request for information was sent to Minister Sanderson.


Noise Pollution from vehicles – The issue of overly loud vehicles, particularly motorbikes, was raised. The constituent suggested annual inspections may help address the problem.


Don asked Minister for Police, Hon. Paul Papalia for advice on the matter and received the following;


The Western Australia Police Force advise that vehicle owners are legally required to maintain their vehicles so they are roadworthy and comply with all relevant legislation, inclusive of those relating to noise pollution. Police officers use meters to measure the output of a vehicle’s noise when encountering loud exhausts. Additionally, police officers can issue compliance notices requiring vehicles to be examined at an Authorised Vehicle Inspection Station.


Parking for Motorcycles – With more people seeing scooters as an eco-friendly form of transport, there is a need for additional motorcycle parking bays in Bunbury.


Don raised the matter with the CEO of the City of Bunbury and received an assurance the issue would be considered in the new parking strategy the City will be undertaking.


Stroke Unit– The need for a stroke in Bunbury was raised. The Minister for Health Hon Amber-Jade Sanderson advised as follows;


Currently all South West hospitals access specialist Neurologist advice for local patients via the Statewide Telestroke Service. Through this partnership WACHS is able to offer timely treatment pathways for acute stroke presentations. In addition to this, Bunbury Hospital has established a Neurology Outreach Service that commenced in 2021 in partnership with Fiona Stanley Hospital Neurology Department. This service provides neurology outpatient and inpatient consultation services.


Bunbury Hospital also provides a high-level inpatient stroke rehabilitation service, and ongoing care in the community through outpatient services, the specialist community rehabilitation team, and the recently established Rehabilitation in the Home service.


It is expected that in the future a stroke/neurology subspecialty service will be developed as part of an integrated Bunbury Hospital Department of Medical Specialties. This will include consideration of the option of collocated stroke beds in a dedicated stroke unit, in line with the evidence for best practice and will build on the foundations of the stroke service model that has been developing over the last few years.


Street Lighting on Vittoria Road – There is a need more street lighting along Vittoria Road. Don sought advice on the issue from the City of Bunbury and received the following advice;


The southern section of Vittoria Road is only partially developed and as a result street lighting is more limited in this area.


This road is predominantly used during daylight hours with only 15% of vehicle movements occurring outside of daylight hours. The majority of crashes that have occur on Vittoria Road also happen during daylight hours and were primarily related to the intersection of Vittoria Road and the South Western Highway.


Main Roads have commenced an upgrade of this intersection which will include the provision of lighting. As the South Moorlands Structure Plan on the western side of Vittoria Road is realised, it is likely that the road will be upgraded by the developer and will include further installation of street lighting.


The City does not have any current plan to undertake lighting improvements along Vittoria Road due to the before mentioned developments.


General dissatisfaction with the answer. The skatepark is there and very dark. People can’t safely go out for a walk at night. People more concerned with pedestrian safety not road safety.


Road Safety at Koolambidi Woola – A number of attendees expressed concerns about the safety of children and young people on Blair Street since the opening of Koolambidi Woola.


Don has discussed the matter with Main Roads and sought advice from the City of Bunbury regarding the actions they intend to take;


The City has applied to Main Roads Western Australia (MRWA) for a speed reduction along Blair Street between Haley Street and Koombana Drive, to 50km per hour. to provide a safer environment for users of Koolambidi Woola.


As part of this application the City is seeking advice on how the current crossing point adjacent to the Bunbury Regional Entertainment Centre can be made safer by giving greater prioritisation to pedestrians.


To assist in the evaluation of the application, MRWA requested revised traffic counts to be undertaken, these have been completed and this information is being submitted.



10.20am             Item One – Proposed Petrol Station on Hudson Road


Item proposed by Mary Dunlop


Anyone can propose a project but it must get planning approval to go ahead. That is the stage this project is at.


Because of the cost of this development, it has gone to JDAP for consideration rather than the Bunbury City Council.


People can submit objections but objections must be on planning grounds.


Is a better understanding of planning processes needed to enable people to participate in the process and to be heard?


Mary – feels the issue came out of the blue. The community has no idea what’s going on. Believes the petrol station will be too close to residential areas. Lots of children walking to and from school. Safety will be compromised.


Mark Blowers said on was put very close to his home with little notice. Seems to be a big expansion of 7/11 presence in Bunbury.


Don explained planning processes.


Don has asked previously if the old petrol station can have a demolition order put on it but the City says it is not within their power.


Don asked is there a need to better information about how planning decisions are made? People agreed. Don will write to WAPC and ask for better information and maybe a workshop with City of Bunbury planners.


Don happy to print off DA and JDAP documents for people wishing to object.


10.40am             Item Two – Electric Vehicles


                             Item proposed by Don Reid


Mr Reid is concerned there is a lack of regulation to ensure we get maximum benefit from electric vehicles. For example electricity from vehicles can be used to power a house hold if regulations allow. What can we do to maximise these benefits. Why are we not providing great subsidies for EV


WA has the most generous subsidy for EVs in Australia at $3 500 (for vehicles priced below $70 000).


The federal Government has exempt EVs from FBT (for cars made available by employer to employees).


Employees can salary sacrifice to purchase EVs


State is investing $22.6 million for charging infrastructure


V2h or v2g?

As the sale of electric vehicles grows, the ability to access backup power from the car’s battery is becoming a selling point marketed by manufacturers.


It is claimed an average EV can power a domestic house for 2 days, an F-150 Lightning ute could power a home for three days.


A Nissan Leaf can store 80-100 kilowatt hours of electric fuel. It takes one kilowatt hour to run a typical fridge for 5hrs. An average home in the US uses approx.. 30 kilowatt hours of power per day.


In the USA EVs are beginning to be promoted as the end for power blackouts.


It is known as vehicle to home (v2h) charging. (If the power is transferred directly to the grid it is known as v2g)


A car must have a battery set up for bidirectional charging to be capable of v2h and not all cars do.


Home owners would need to purchase a bidirectional charge which can cost thousands of dollars (Approx $10 000 in Aust at the moment).


This technology has had limited testing in a real world setting as very few EVs are compatible with v2h.


In 2020ANU began some trials of V2G in the ACT. The trials were scheduled to last for two years. The trial involved 50 vehicles. It was delayed as bidirectional chargers had yet to be certified in Australia, but it is now underway


                             Some EV owners may wish to use their vehicle power just during peak time to reduce their electricity bill while charging the vehicle during off peak times.


                             There is a risk that as people find ways to avoid using peak power, the cost of that power will increase. Avoiding using peak power requires investment, in solar panel, batteries, EVs, and so it is the people who cannot afford this investment who will be forced to pay significantly higher electricity bills.


In the future v2g is seen as a potential way to stabilise the grid and ensure reliable power.


Given bidirectional chargers have only been available for use in Australia since late 2021 and the first trials of v2g are just underway, there is little regulation in the area and no strategy yet developed for how to best use the power generated by EVs


                             Don has discussed the issue with the Motor Trades Association who believe the time line to reach 20% take up of EVs.


                             Many changes to our electricity supply systems in the short to medium term. Things like the use of EV’s as domestic electricity will be considered wholistically as part of this.


                             A general discussion was held.



11.00am             Item Three – Meeting Structure


                             Planning for next year.


Are people happy with the structure of the meetings?


Would it be preferred if other officials were invited to speak to/answer questions regarding specific topics. Eg for a planning matter the City of Bunbury Planning Department be invited to attend and respond to queries.


Any ideas people have to improve the Town Hall Meetings and make sure they stay relevant


                                    Yes please bring some people in for specific issues. Maybe police, main roads, Council etc. Some felt guests should be separate meetings or additional time so as not to compromise the broad range of issues these meeting cover.


                             Brett Cross raised concerns about free newspapers being left on lawns as it is littering. Don – suggested contacting the paper responsible. Robert Gates suggested using the app Neat Street to report the problem. Mary said Snap, Send, Solve is also very effective.



11.10am             General Q&A


                             Questions from the floor


                             Mark Blowers – We are aiming to replace coal by 2030. We need to replace more jobs. Why are we talking about importing coal?


                             Don – A number of issues occurred at once – Griffin went into administration, very wet winter impacted mining       and major workplace incident. The imports are to ensure reserves.


                             Mary – Any updates on bus routes? Don not yet, but has requested meeting with Rita


                             Carol Reid – we need more accommodation for medical workers as we are losing them for the regions. Bethanie were gong to build accommodation for health workers but lost the funding. Don explained the fund Building Better Regions is being reviewed and a new programme will take its place. Bethanie receive $10mill yesterday.


                             Peter Dwyer – Why is Main Roads reluctant to reduce speed limits from 110km at major intersections? Raised Lilydale Road and North Boyanup Road. Don will look into it.


                             Constit. – Can left hand lane on Robertson Drive have to Busselton painted on it to improve traffic flow and road safety. Don will raise with Main Roads. Another wants flashing walk lights across Robertson Drive for pedestrians and cyclists. Same issue on Blair Street at the site of the Fire Station.


                             Don will consider asking Main Roads to a CTHM to do a Q&A. People will need to submit their questions in advance.


                             Brett Cox – Concerned about cats in Dalyellup. Cats are roaming and hurting the environment. The Cat Act needs to be strengthened to make people more responsible for keep cats on their own property.


Don – met with Shire of Capel yesterday. They are aware. Will increase education. Considering some trapping and imposing a fine. Have led the way with WALGA moving a motion to increase advocacy for changes to the cat act. Don will take the issue up with John Carey.


                             Robert Gates – concerned about amount of asbestos in Carey and how much ends up in roadside pick-ups. Don – need to report that to the City. Don will also ask the City of Bunbury.


                             Mary Dunlop – Can we get better communication about Withers renewal. Don will write to the City and make the request.


                             Robert Gates – Milligan House running events next weekend. Encourage people to support. Funded by Department of Veterans’ Affairs.



11.30am             Meeting concludes